20 January 2011

Socrates and Malcolm X

Over 10 years ago, I was living closer to the city. I lived on a busy road and had become accustomed to the noise; and the train only 2 blocks away. The rhythm of the airplanes, the bass of the high school kids cars as they cruised away from school, the bus route, and that beautiful rumbling train; well, it all fell to the background. At night, I often could not sleep, and I would listen to my neighbors' son and his wife fight in their front yard. I must admit, I was intrigued by their inebriated debacle's but, I did have to call the police once when they started swinging at each other.
Oddly enough, in the middle of the night, the most striking noise was the lack of noise. I would hear the dust that loitered in the street lights. I would watch the headlights of an occasional car sweep slowly across my walls. I would turn on the radio.
And one night, this is what I heard a man on the radio say.

"The unexamined life is not worth living," says Socrates. And, "the examined life is painful." Malcolm X."

I think it is courageous to have lunch with the skeletons in your closet.

Time Flies. Do Something Bold
A Coppenhagen tin, Apoxie Sculpt, Paper, Metal
Polymer Clay facade, grout and tile. 3.5" x 4.25".
$45.00
sold
 

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, love the written piece and the art piece! Time DOES fly so lets create!! See you soon - the clown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my lovable clown! That radio show just really stuck with me and it was over a decade ago.

    ReplyDelete